Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Everybody sing

I sing barbershop harmony with a great group of ladies. Every Tuesday night from 5:15 to 7:00 30 or so women get together and we sing, sing, sing. It's hard to stay down when you sing. We come from all walks of life. A judge, couple of the girls own a bookstore a few more work there, a few work at banks, got some nurses, teachers, stay at home moms, clerks, retired ladies, one photographer, one girl in radio, some who work in offices and at least one waitress :) Our fearless leader is Bruce who works with the post office. He has a gift, he can be in a room full of women and still stay in control (well most of the time). We all love to sing. Tonight we started working on a couple of new songs. I'm ALWAYS amazed at how horrible we can sound the first time through a song. But by the time we're ready to sing in front of a crowd we're like angels. We all pay (dues) for the joy of singing and to tell the truth we're pretty darn good. We've had some ladies that sing in competitions tell us we could do quite well doing that, but that's not for us at this point. We like to sing in the spring during the men's show. Sing in the summer at local churches and sing in November at our own show. Some have very wonderful voices and sing solos or in a quartet, others really need the group in order to be brave enough to sing (although their voices are just as wonderful). I never considered singing as a hobby until two years ago when the director of the men's group described it that way. It's something I totally enjoy, I'm not to bad at and I can share with others, yup that's a hobby.
There are many times I am reminded of my choir director in high school. He was a very tempermental artistic type (he broke many batons after getting frustrated and beating on the podium). But he gave me a good basis for this hobby that I'm enjoying so much at this point in my life.
So sing, sing, sing it can't hurt and will usually help.

No comments: